Bad eyesight.
Create Post

Thread: Bad eyesight.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Bad eyesight.

Hello Marines! First let me start off by apologizing if there is a topic where my question has been answered, I'm new to the forums.

I have decided to join the United States Marine Corps after I graduate, and I know that I will wear the birth control glasses during boot camp. I currently wear contact lenses, and I was wondering if I would be able to continue wearing them after I complete boot camp. Honestly, I cannot stand to wear glasses. I have heard that during deployments, Marines are not allowed to wear contact lenses because of the accidents that can happen with them. So will I have to be stuck wearing some type of prescription eye glasses or will I have to get some type of eye surgery to correct my eye sight to avoid it?

Thank you for the help.

How about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions know who they are talking to, and you may also want to read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums also.

Try doing a search on the site for eye vision, as this topic has been covered many times. If the search bar doesn't work, contact thedrifter and let her be aware that it's not working properly.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, I have updated my profile for the future, and I used the search tool before I posted this thread, but I guess I wasn't searching the right words. I searched "eye vision" and multiple threads popped up.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenflo92 View Post
    Thanks, I have updated my profile for the future, and I used the search tool before I posted this thread, but I guess I wasn't searching the right words. I searched "eye vision" and multiple threads popped up.

I wouldn't get any surgery before you go to boot camp. It will require a waiver and those are tough to get these days. You can apply to get surgery on the Marine Corps' nickle later. You'll just have to deal with wearing glasses. There will be other things to distract you, never fear.

You can wear contacts after boot camp. You may want to avoid them in the field because of dirty, dusty, and sandy conditions. I think SOI requires the BCG in the field too.

As far as in a combat zone, a current Iraq or Afghan vet should chime in here, but I understand contacts are not allowed outside the wire because IED explosions can melt the contacts to your eyeballs and worsen any eye injury.

After Boot Camp is done you will be able to wear contacts at your preference.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the help Marines, I'll definitely not have any medical procedures done then prior to boot camp if it means I need a wavier. If anything prevented me from joining I think my life would be over.

In addition to being able to wear contacts after boot camp (MCT as well, but you might be able to get away with at least wearing your own personal glasses for MCT) you'll be able to apply for eye surgery at the government's expense, which is always nice. Won't have to worry about contacts or glasses for a while if you get that done.

They eye surgeries are done on a who needs them the worst. I know some guys waited 2+ years and then I know guys that waited weeks. Just depends on where you are. After Recruit Training you will be allowed to were your own. Which means you pay for them, unless you go through medical. Not all the glasses are BCGs. On deployments, some guys contact us standard issue (for Military and public safety only, it's Oakley's thanks to us) and order RX eye pro.

For those that want info on US Standard Issue, google it and provide ID that you are CURRENTLY are active duty military, reserve, federal and local law enforcement, fire, EMS and those holding military retiree credentials.

You can get prescription inserts for the dust goggles you would wear on a convoy on deployment I'm told.

Credits
    Savings
    If I have one of the 03-- billets, would it allow me to have priority for surgery?

There's four levels, and I'm pretty sure being an 03 would bump you up to at least level 2, if not level 1.

Even as a contact lens wearer you should have a set of glasses to bring with you. Whether or not that's the best idea is up to you.

If I'd been able to get through the rest of processing without them I wouldn't have brought my glasses and made them do a whole new exam. As it was, they took the ones I had, put them in a machine to get the script, scratched them all to hell and then gave me a horribly inaccurate set. Doesn't mean it would happen to you nor does it mean that going off a new exam would get better results but if I had to do it over again I would.

If nothing else, make sure the glasses you do take are off a recent exam. If you haven't had your eyes checked in many years make sure to do that before you go. If you bring them they'll be basing your BCGs off what you give them and if it's an old set that's not correcting your vision properly you'll be stuck with inaccurate ones when you go to the range.

Also, on a general note, if you're wearing two-week daily lenses please make sure to take them out every night. Sleeping with your contacts on multiple days in a row is bad for your eyes. You should have at least a few hours awake without them in to give your eyes exposure to oxygen and allow them to hydrate properly.

Thread Information